CENCO Refining Company has sold its 50,000 BPD refinery.
Over 90 percent of production was light products, including reformulated gasoline, CARB diesel, EPA diesel, jet fuel, butane and propane. Modernization in the 1980s allowed the refinery to produce petroleum coke. Three major periods of refinery expansion occurred – in the 1950’s, mid 1960’s and early 1980’s.
With the exception of the catalytic naphtha reformers and one of the two crude units, CENCO’s major processing units were constructed either after 1967 or 1982. The Fluid Catalytic Cracking Complex expansion in 1967 was centered around a new FCCU, but also included a Gas Concentration Unit, FCC Merox Unit, Vacuum Distillation Unit, Naphtha Hydrotreater, and an HF Alkylation Unit.
A Heavy Oils Upgrade in 1981 included a new Delayed Coker, a Hydrocracking Unit, plus a Hydrogen Plant, Kerosene Hydrotreater, Gas Oil Hydrotreater, Amine Unit, Sour Water Stripper, Sulfur Recovery Units and a Tail Gas Unit.
The Reformulated/Clean Fuels Project in 1994 consisted of a Penex Plus (benzene saturation/isomerization) Unit, Reformate Splitters, Gasoline Splitter, additional 600 lb steam capacity and offsite facilities. Numerous other upgrades were performed to improve operability and reliability.
The refinery suspended crude oil refining in July 1995, at which time the entire facility was mothballed in accordance with industry standards and maintained under nitrogen pressure. Special care was taken to passivate all austenitic stainless steel equipment to protect against polythionic and chloride stress corrosion cracking. An ongoing effort to maintain the equipment in a preserved condition has been in effect since 1995.